Daniel Hoelbling-Inzko talks about programming

Windows 10 Error Message 0xc000000e after installing dual boot system

I recently decided to install Ubuntu as a second boot option on my main PC at home. Since I do a lot of unix development lately and really hate working on my small Macbook it seemed like the logical alternative to install Ubuntu on the big machine.

So my old setup was a 240gb SSD that previously held my Windows 10 install and I got a new 500gb Samsung SSD that should replace the old drive as my main OS disk. So using my old but proven dd copy method to move the old 240gb SSD to the more spacious 500gb SSD I freed up the old 240gb SSD for the fresh Ubuntu install.

Everything worked fine with copying, Windows worked flawlessly on the new 500gb SSD - until I also installed the 240gb SSD and set up Ubuntu on it. Ubuntu would load fine, but when I tried to boot into Windows it would fail with the 0xc000000e error showing me the Windows 10 boot repair options.

The weird thing here was that I was able to boot into Windows perfectly fine once I unplugged the 240gb Ubuntu SSD, but as long as that SSD was in the system I could not get Windows Bootloader to start up Windows. Even when I changed the boot settings in my Bios to bypass grub and go straight to the Windows Bootloader.

With the kind help of the people in the askubuntu forums I finally found the solution: Windows BCD apparently does not like it when you change the order of it's harddrives. So half the bootloader was loading from UEFI, but it could not hand off to the real bootloader on my 500gb SSD - it was expecting that disk to be first in my system, but instead it became my second disk since the 240gb SSD was now on SATA1 and the 500gb disk was on SATA2.

After switching the cables around everything worked fine and I could boot into Windows using the Windows Bootloader in my UEFI Bios, or I could start up Grub and chainload into the Windows Bootloader from there without issue.

Filed under ubuntu, windows, windows10, boot

Setting Source Code Pro as default font in xterm

Since I am setting up my Linux machine I decided I hate the default font provided by Ubuntu and vastly perfer Source Code Pro by Adobe for my terminal. Also the font was too small by default so I googled a bit and found the following solution to work for me with some minor changes.

First of all you have to download the font from Adobe and install it to your ~/.fonts directory and rebuild the font cache.

At the time of writing this script should do this all for you:

wget https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-code-pro/archive/2.030R-ro/1.050R-it.zip -O scp.zip
unzip scp.zip
cd source-code-pro*
mkdir -p ~/.fonts
cp TTF ~/*.ttf ~/.fonts/
fc-cache -vf

Afterwards you have to create a ~/.Xresources file in your home directory that contains the following lines:

XTerm*faceName: Source Code Pro,Source Code Pro Semibold                                       
XTerm*faceSize: 12

Now run the X server resource database utility xrdb and merge the settings into your current X config. All new xterm windows will now use the new font.

xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources
Filed under linux, xterm, ubuntu

My Photography business


dynamic css for .NET